|Doug Howardell specializes in helping clients improve their business practices and processes. During the past twenty-five years he has designed new processes and tools, selected and implemented new business systems, and managed business process improvement projects. He has extensive experience and expertise in all aspects of project management, change management and materials management. Additionally, Mr. Howardell has long experience teaching and training. He has been an instructor in the California State University system since 1988. He is an active member of the American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS).
In his consulting practice Mr. Howardell has assisted a wide variety of clients gaining first hand experience in commercial and aerospace manufacturing, food distribution, machine tool manufacturers and distributors, electronic assembly, and job shops.
He has helped international companies with the following services:
- Project Management of large multi-year projects and small limited time frame projects in a variety of industries.
- Change Management for projects that required significant revision of process and practices for a population entrenched in doing things the old way.
- Process Improvement for supply chain management, ERP/MRP, distribution, warehousing, inventory control, shop floor control, inventory accuracy, return on assets and development of metrics.
- Training in all areas of materials management, process improvement, inventory & cycle time reduction, Lean and Six Sigma.
- Business Systems specification, selection, implementation and system utilization improvement.
- Employee Skills Development – Thriving in change, Teaming, Creativity, Customer Responsiveness, Process Improvement, Career & Life Management, Policy Deployment/Building a Winning Culture.
Before entering consulting, Doug spent 20 years working in commercial and aerospace manufacturing companies. While employed in industry, Mr. Howardell held a variety of positions, from inventory clerk to department manger. During this time, he experienced first-hand the issues and challenges that management personnel face. He brings a sense of what is practical in the real world to all his clients. His last position in industry was the manager of a department of over two hundred people. His constant focus was on improving the productivity and quality of the work his department performed.
In addition to his expertise in business management change management and project management, Doug also has long experience with education and training. He has taught college credit courses in the California State University program, teaching in both traditional classroom settings and in distance learning programs utilizing interactive television. He has developed and delivered numerous custom educational programs on a wide variety of topics.
Mr. Howardell is the Director of Education for the San Gabriel Valley Chapter of APICS, the past president of the Los Angeles chapter and currently a member of the Engineered Products SIG steering committee.
Academically, Mr. Howardell holds a BA in History from California State University. He is Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) by APICS.