Jim Strong is an independent consultant and trainer. He has over 20 years management and consulting experience, and has product and process knowledge in pharmaceuticals, electronics, plastic and rubber molding, metal fabrication, and aerospace products. He has held key management positions as Supply Chain Manager, Materials Manager, and Director of Procurement and was a senior consultant with a Big 6 consulting firm.
Mr. Strong’s primary focus is on “Supply Side” management, a strategy for improving profitability and competitive advantage of his clients. He specializes in sourcing and commodity strategies, developing supplier relationships, total cost reduction programs, supply chain management, logistics, and purchasing and supply management training.
Mr. Strong offers client services in:
Some significant accomplishments are:
- Establishing working partnerships with key suppliers – achieving significant cost reductions, improved quality, and on-time delivery.
- Negotiating multi-year consignment contract with steel supplier, to improve inventory turns, reduce material cost $250,000
- Out-sourcing the assembly of gas manifolds to a single source global supplier – improving quality and delivery to the customer.
- Leasing trucks to make daily JIT deliveries – saving company $200,000 a year in freight costs and sustaining 99.8% on-time delivery.
- Establishing daily JIT deliveries with key suppliers, reducing throughput time from 12 weeks to 4 days.
- Implemented a “Class A” MRPII system. Inventory was reduced 35%. Achieved 98% on-time delivery and 99% inventory record accuracy.
- Conducted training for 1,200 military and civilian personnel at USAF logistics bases, on how to convert and implement an MRPII system for repair and overhaul of weapons systems.
Jim holds an MS degree in Systems Management from West Coast University, Los Angeles, and a BBA degree from T.C.U. He is certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) by APICS, and is a past president of the Ventura County Chapter. He is also a certified Purchasing Manager (C.P.M.) and is an active member and past president of the San Fernando Valley affiliate of ISM the “Institute for Supply Management”, formerly NAPM
Jim teaches certification classes at Calif. State University, Northridge and other local extension colleges and he is a frequent speaker at local professional society events and seminars. He also teaches in-house certification classes for clients.